Can't tell if I have been hacked :(

Joel Rees joel_rees at sannet.ne.jp
Tue Mar 21 21:35:15 UTC 2006

As I recall, the problem was that the file system suddenly looked
messed up?

Somebody mentioned that they had had the same problem, but the disks
themselves were okay (although  would hope he backed up the data and
scrubbed software and settings just in case).

Suggestion from way out in left field, but have you checked that
something like $LANG and/or the locale settings have not changed to
something incompatible with the file name encodings and fonts you are
using?