Customising Session Shortcuts

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 22 13:44:42 UTC 2006

Ali Helmy wrote:
> Just for knowledge, when I press Ctrl+Alt+FX i get to a different session,
> where X=1-6 leads to a text mode, and X=7-12 leads to a graphical one...
> Now, is there some way where I can change the default? I mean:
>
> A) Make the default start-up just the console, but still be able to start
> the graphical one?

Yes. *Carefully* edit /etc/inittab as root. In the section that looks
like:
    # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #   1 - Single user mode
    #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
    #   networking)
    #   3 - Full multiuser mode
    #   4 - unused
    #   5 - X11
    #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #
    id:5:initdefault:
change that last 5 to a 3.

Then when you want to start X, log in and type "startx".

> B) Change the shortcuts, so that Ctrl+Alt+F1 = text-based, Ctrl+Alt+F2 =
> graphical based?

I haven't tried this. But I imagine commenting out the lines
    2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
    3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
    4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
    5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
    6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6
further down in the same file would do the job.

Keep one text-based console, though. You may need it if there's a
problem with X.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | Ridcully told jokes like a bullfrog did accountancy.
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | They never added up.