FC5: Disable SELinux for desktop usage, wait for policy update?

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Wed Mar 22 19:07:58 UTC 2006

Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> Since the current selinux configuration seems to break many things,
> among others:
> - USB scanner access
> - USB harddrive mounting
> would this entail, that selinux on FC5 is unsuitable for desktop
> usage, and only useful for servers? Is there a chance that
> policy updates will come, that correct these things?
> SELinux on FC4 was pretty painless, so the ideas for
> the new SELinux policies surprise me a bit.

Yes we will be updating policy today.  SELinux in FC5 is suitable for
desktop.

I have created a yum repository for FC5 on
ftp://people.redhat.com/dwalsh/SELinux/FC5

This has an updated tool chain for SELinux and an updated policy.  These
will also be available for FC5 test updates tonight.  If everything goes
ok, they will be updated in a few days.

Dan