FC5 Upgrade with yum??

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 22 19:59:04 UTC 2006

"Smith, Herb" <herb.smith at boeing.com> wrote: I did an upgrade from FC4 to FC5 last evening.  I'm having a couple
issues...

Is it possible to upgrade from FC4 to FC5 using yum??? Would this not prevent "issues" and actually be better for everyone's nerves??

Suppose you could 'subscribe' to a sequence of mirrors that would install core utils piecemeal... a group of rpms at a time which would give you time to recover from whatever blew your installation up, before the next wave of rpms hits? Methinks this would be a sane way to update... not a hugely invasive process as seems to be the norm. My harddrives are fine, my networking is sorta fine (slow as hell) no problems with the settings to my keyboard or soundcard or printer or CDrom. They are just fine. So is my display and video card.

So, the practice of putting EVERYTHING on the line, then booting to see what blew up doesn't make a heckuva lot of sense IF there are no huge issues involved that would necessititate completely re-installing. If all of my presently installed RPM's were just updated, I would be happy as a clam. Can this be done? Once again, I think it would be better if the update were staged, one portion at a time, as you prepare for it. God, that would be sane. Thanx, Ric

   ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
   ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/