FC5 Upgrade

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 23 01:39:35 UTC 2006

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 10:35 -0600, Smith, Herb wrote:
>> I did an upgrade from FC4 to FC5 last evening.  I'm having a couple
>> issues...
>>
>> 1) When I create a launcher, it will not let me select a custom icon

This is a bad addition to GNOME. It does let you select 4 icons from the
checkmarks. This makes a quite ugly launcher. Why they changed it, I
don't know!
It is an FC5 feature.

>> I don't know if there are any other issues, that's as far as I got.  Is
>> this symptomatic of something in particular?

It  is sort of a nautilus, metacity, screensaver type of "good idea"

>> Any suggestions, or am I better off just doing a complete re-install and
>> rebuild my user directories afterward, ie. Start all over.

It won't help with the missing icon for network device control or the
launcher problem with selectable icons rather than checkmarking the
available choices.

Regarding the network control not being in the menu by default, right
click on any of the three menu headings and select edit menus. Under
System tools you will find the network device choice where you can check
the box and it will appear within Application system tools menu. The
asked about new login choice is also selectable like someone asked about
not showing on the menus by checking its check box.

Jim

--
Do more than anyone expects, and pretty soon everyone will expect more.