GRUB with IDE and SCSI disk [SOLVED, sort of]

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Mar 23 13:17:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> One of my systems has an IDE disk and a SCSI disk.  I upgraded the IDE disk
> and I need to reinstall grub.  /boot is in /dev/sda1, but the system boots
> off of /dev/hda.
>
> I've tried various things to install GRUB on the new /dev/hda, but everything
> results in a complaint during boot that
>
> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist.
>
> For example, in GRUB shell, I installed using:
>
> 	> root (hd1,0)
> 	> setup (hd0)
>
> The installation seems to work fine, but boot fails as above. I had this
> working before, but for my life I can't recall how I did it differently from
> this.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks.

Apparently, the machine was having some trouble detecting the IDE drive as
a boot device, so it was skipping ahead to try and boot off the SCSI one.

This is a very old machine (my first Linux machine ever, a P-166 that
originally ran Red Hat Linux 3.0.3) doing print and backup service in my
closet) and it doesn't seem to like the new very large disks much.

Ah, well, it's quite a senior citizen in computer years, and it kept up
well.  It's running FC4 pretty happily (no GUI though), but it doesn't
have enough memory to install FC5.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences