FC5 and Dell 2005FPW display

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 12:18:09 UTC 2006

> I tried using "Generic LCD 1680x1050" and any setting that puts the
> width at 1600 or greater screws up.  I wonder if the problem is the
> Intel graphics controller.  The monitor reports being in various modes
> like 1024x768, despite the setting in xorg.conf.

On my dell inspiron 6400 laptop the intel graphics chipset needs a
hack to get it to work in 1680 by 1050 -

I added the modeline to xorg.conf as others have mentioned already.
I built the 915resolution tool from http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/
I added a line into rc.sysinit just before the echo "Initialising hardware" -
 /usr/sbin/915resolution 32 1680 1050 > /dev/null 2>&1

I'm using centos 4.3 rather than FC, but I expect they are very similar.

--
Cheers,

Tony