FC5: Failed dependecies while installing AdobeReader

Stephen Mirowski spmirowski at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 24 22:40:36 UTC 2006

> > I am trying to install AdobeReader 7.0.5 on FC5 and get dependency problem:
>
> > Jon Ingason

    The .tar.gz package works fine in FC5.

That would depend if you already had the dependencies installed.  The
tar.gz didn't work
for me for FC4 or FC5 off the bat (on probably 10+ installations).   As
far as I can tell
7.x series is still compiled on GCC 3.x and doesn't appear to work until
a compat lib is installed.
Sure, the installer works, but that is just a shell script, and you can
execute "acroread" and it
will show the splash, but nothing after that and if launched from a
terminal it will output no
errors.  So as far as I have been able to tell, it's a compat problem
and you need the compat
files.

Stephen