will hde be hd1 in grub.conf?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Sat Mar 25 01:24:56 UTC 2006

    I have finished the steps of my proposed migration of a Fedora Core 5
system to RAID-1...

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-March/msg04350.html

...up to step 14 where I attempt to reboot the system from the newly
populated md partitions on the second drive. However I still have a
few questions before I attempt this. Originally I planned on adding
the second drive to the second IDE channel on the motherboard. However
the end-user wanted it on a newly installed PCI IDE card. This means
that the original drive is hda remains on the first IDE channel and
the CD writer and zip drives are on the second IDE channel of the
motherboard as hdc and hdd. When I installed the second hard drive
on the new PCI IDE card it came up as hde.
    Is it correct to assume that hde will definitely appear to grub
as hd1? At this point I have edited /etc/fstab on the newly prepared
md root partition so that the devices all point to md partitions
instead of hda partitions. My understanding is that I should be
able to use...

#boot=/dev/hde
default=0
timeout=15
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.16-1.2069_FC5smp.img
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
        root (hd1,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp ro root=/dev/md2 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img

...to use the currently installed grub boot loader on hda to boot the
initrd located on the md partition of hde. Or will it actually use the
initrd from the boot partition on hda still (until I reinstall grub while
booted from the md partitions with...

/sbin/grub
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd1)
quit

My understanding is that should allow the next reboot to work entirely off
of the hde disk.) Thanks in advance for any comments.
           Jack