FC5: Disabling DMA for CD-ROM Drives?

Lawrence Houston fedora at greenfield.dyndns.org
Sat Mar 25 18:36:16 UTC 2006

FC5 Users:

With FC5/2.6 Kernels it appears DMA for CD-ROM Drives is enabled by
default, which does NOT work properly with my Drive/System...  During
Installation I had problems with the Media Test failing (even though those
same CD-Rs which compared fine under CentOS3/2.4 Kernel) and Anaconda
would complain about unreadable RPMs part way through Installation...
Although typing "linux ide=nodma" at the installation's boot prompt did
allow the Media Tests and the Installation itself to complete, running the
installed system with "ide=nodma" effects harddisk performance!!!  On my
installed system one solution was enabling IDE-SCSI Support on CD-ROM
Drive, although that generates a warning at boot time:

   ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device

and therefore may NOT be good long term solution...  FC5 does NOT appear
to respond to the boot-time parameter "nocddma" and previously HDPARM
included a SYSV INIT Script allowing DMA control over individual devices
(which appears to have been dropped)...  Does FC5 provide another
mechanism for controlling the DMA Settings on individual Devices???

Lawrence Houston  --  (fedora at greenfield.dyndns.org)