new question on mediacheck

Anil Kumar Sharma xplusaks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 18:48:25 UTC 2006

On 3/25/06, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> There isn't any data of that nature.
>
> If you really want to check the authenticity of RPM packages, you can
> use their built-in GPG signatures.
>
> $ rpm --checksig /path/to/some.rpm
>
> You may need to import the GPG keys used to sign the packages first if
> you haven't already done so.
>
> Paul.

Thanks Paul for confirming,
The aim was to have a installation that is free of any doubt originating
from the cd-burning stage.  That is - after having ascertained sha1sum on
iso files to be OK.

There have been too many unexplained mediacheck failed (on FC4 and now FC5)
despite the on CD data being found OK.
Trouble is time involved and a not so good level of "out of box" experience.
Someone rightly mentioned buggy mediacheck.  I plan to write a bug-rep via
my FC5 even if it gets marked dup.

In another thread (with ur name also referred there), the solution to
install without involving any CD, was very much suited to my situation.

Now all set to shoot FC5 install ...

--
Anil Kumar Shrama