basic server, no gui's

hbrhodes hbrhodes at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 21:45:47 UTC 2006

is it terribly hard to set up a server (stick it in the basement you
know), and hook other computers to it?  i'm thinking it would involve a
minimal install, with the server options from the install.  Then i would
have to modify some files like /etc/hosts.allow, deny, an maybe the
firewall (what ports to open up?), and user permissions?

i'm thinking the firewall would be done with iptables, and i could set
group permissions to something like "users" or something.  my goal is to
set up a computer that i can put httpd on, and have it set up so i can
put all my files on it without worrying about losing them if i decide to
format my upstairs computer!

--
hbrhodes		| Google your noodle!	|
hbrhodes at gmail.com	| http://mail.google.com|