Stumped on NetworkManager with FC5

John Lagrue admin at moraystudio.com
Sun Mar 26 13:51:44 UTC 2006

Josh Coffman wrote:
> --- kevin.j.lisciotti at jpmchase.com wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just done a clean install on an IBM T30 laptop
>> using a Linksys WPC54G
>> v3 pcmcia card.
>>
>> I have installed the linksys driver using
>> ndiswrapper and the module loads
>> correctly and the dmesg output is correct. I have
>> also setup
>> NetworkManager to start automatically when logging
>> into the desktop. The
>> problem I am having is that when I click on the NM
>> applet I can choose
>> between wired/wireless and I can see all the WAP's
>> around me including my
>> own, but when I try to connect to any wireless
>> network I can't connect. I
>> have tried with encryption both on and off and it
>> just fails.
>>
>> If I switch to the wired connection, instant netowrk
>> connectivity. I'm
>> stumped as to why I can see all the wireless
>> networks but not connect to
>> anything? I have everything configured with DHCP and
>> noticed a DHCP bug
>> filed for NM. Could this be my problem?
>>
>> Obviously the card is working as it powers up
>> correctly and can scan
>> wireless networks. Why can't I connect to any??
>>
> IDEAS??> --

No ideas I'm afraid. But I get exactly the same problem. I've used
NdisWrapper and NetworkManager on this laptop since FC3, but since
upgrading to FC5 I get exactly the same problems as you describe.

I had to kill off NetworkManager and bring up the wireless via the
iwconfig commands.

JDL

PS Does NetworkManager work with KDE yet? Last I heard there was no
NetworkManagerInfo applet equivalent on KDE so I could never run it.