New user problem in FC4

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Sun Mar 26 18:42:37 UTC 2006

>I've just created a new user for the purpose of running backup scripts.  A
>home directory has been created, but I am unable to log in as that user.  I
>get the 'your session lasted less than 10 seconds' error.  Sure enough, the
>new user does not get a space allocated in /tmp, and without that I can't run
>the setup scripts.
>
>What could have gone wrong?

What do you mean when you say 'the new user does not get a space allocated in /tmp'?
Users dont get space allocated in /tmp, but they do need write-access to
the /tmp directory, and so /tmp is normally world-writeable. It also has the
'sticky' bit set in the file-permissions so that only the owner can remove
files from /tmp.

If you do 'ls -l / | grep tmp' you should see

drwxrwxrwt  15 root root  4096 Mar 26 18:36 tmp

Is this true on your system?

Cheers,
Terry.