NO Sound on Dell. Intel sound experts available?

Leon sdl.web at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 23:50:47 UTC 2006

Mark <list at onnow.net> writes:

> This must be something simple but I can figure it out yet.
> I have no sound on my laptop when doing the sound test in
> system-config-sound or with "play info.wav"
>
> Dell 1300 laptop with FC5
>
> lspci shows:
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6
> Family) High  Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
>
> modprobe.conf shows:
> alias eth0 b44
> alias snd-card-0 snd_intel8x0m
> #alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1
> || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
>
> I have seen posts where you must mute the input or something in
> alsamixer but I cant do that.  When I run alsamixer I have 4 fields
> ( master, pcm, capture, input so ) and capture or input so cannot be
> muted ( m to mute )
>
> Any thoughts on what I can try?
>
> Thanks in advance

I'm running dell 700m. My audio is: Multimedia audio controller: Intel
Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev 03). Looks quite similar to yours. And the sound is
working fine.

Did you see your device correctly detected by system-config-sound? Is
it your sound muted?

Cheers,
--
Leon