VI editor in Gnome Terminal leaves text remnants on scroll

Khoa Ton khoa at puresynergy.com
Mon Mar 27 08:27:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 12:43 +0100, Ron Yorston wrote:
> Khoa Ton wrote:
> >I'm using vi in the xterm Terminal console in FC5 Gnome Desktop.
> >When I'm scrolling down in a large file (/etc/passwd for example),
> >the last line doesn't properly clear, remnant text of the previous
> >line is left on the last line.
>
> I'm seeing similar behaviour, but with gnome-terminal.  I've only
> had a quick look using an xterm but that seems to be OK.
>
> Ron

Yes, Ron is right.  My mistake thinking that Gnome Terminal (2.14.0)
was xterm.  Xterm does not exhibit this problem.

Curiously, trying this again today with Gnome Terminal, I did not
see the problem.  When the problem DOES NOT occur on Gnome Terminal,
I see the lower right cursor location numbers.  When I don't see
these numbers is when the remnants remain.

I'll keep trying to track down this problem's cause.

Khoa