FC4: Creating updates DVD as yum repository

Richard Conway rconway1711 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 16:08:45 UTC 2006

Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> wrote:  Richard Conway wrote:
> Having installed from DVD I want to apply the latest updates.
>
> I have taken the following approach:
> 1. Download all updates.
> 2. Remove old kernel packages from download.
> 3. Remove i386 packages that are covered by an equivalent i686 package.
> 4. Burn RPMs to DVD.
>
> I have attempted installation as follows:
> - Login as root.
> - $ rpm -Fvh /media/cdrecorder/*.rpm

Instead of using rpm, try yum:

yum localinstall /media/cdrecorder/*.rpm

  Thanks for your suggestion for this undocumented yum feature (well it's not in the man page anyway).

  This is heading towards what I would like to achieve - however it is performing an 'install' of all of the RPMs on the DVD rather than performing an 'update', i.e. only installing if I already have an older version of the RPM.

  I suppose I could prepare the DVD to only include the rpms I have installed, but I was hoping (originally) that the rpm freshen command could deal with this. Also there might be some new dependencies that I would have to deal with.

  There doesn't seem to be a 'yum localupdate' command so maybe I will have to prepare the DVD more carefully as I described.

  Thanks,
  Richard.

---
Richard Conway (richard at rconway.co.uk)