Dumping Windows

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 16:53:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 02:50, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 17:59, John Summerfield wrote:
> >

> >>I'm sure someone administering 1300 users understands those things.
> >>Still, you don't want those nasty surprises when the software breaks.
> >>You want software that "just works" all the time, and Fedora Core doesn't,
> >

> > I'm not sure that's entirely fair.  While I agree that there are
>
> It is completely and entirely fair. I was criticising the reasoning,
> not the decision.

I wasn't replying to your post, but there is a tradeoff in any
case.  While some other distro might make a better server, you
have to consider what 1300 users will do to you if you try
to replace their desktop apps with the 2-year old versions
that come with the enterprise distros.  If you look through
the fedora archives for problems and ignore the ones caused
by selinux settings and the ones that would have been avoided
by testing updates before applying to a critical machine I
don't think you'll find that many more than any other
distribution.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com