FC5 - Upgrading failure if dual boot

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 27 22:02:10 UTC 2006

antonio montagnani wrote:
> I tried to upgrade one of my servers from FC4 to FC5, that is a dual
> boot machine with Windows 2000.
> I had a set of CD that passed mediacheck on two other machines so I
> decided not to carry out a mediacheck on this server.At CD nr.4
> upgrade stopped and machine was rebooted.
> In the meantime I burnt a new CD that passed mediacheck, so I
> re-started upgrading.
> But when I re-booted the machine the Fedora entry was missing from my
> Grub menu and only Windows 2000 was available!!! I re-started the
> installing procedure (it was very fast) and I told to anaconda to
> modify grup but again I found only Windows2000 entry.
> I managed to mount the system with rescue disk, but how I read and
> modify the grub.conf when I am in the shell???
>
> What is happening???
I don't know. Did you get to the end of the installation the second time ?

However, if the grub boot loader is being called at boot you can enter
the details manually.
Hit a key as grub starts (maybe up down arrow)
Press c for command prompt
Next bit really depends on how your PC is configured...enter commands
root (hd0,0)
   what does this say ?

kernel /vmli  and then hit tab, auto complete should show matching files
names ?

initrd /init  and then hit tab, auto complete should show matching file
name ?

boot

While the commands especially the root one will need to be changed for
particular machines, either it'll boot or reply to the list with the
messages shown...

DaveT.