Australian timezone oddity between two similarly configured FC4 boxes

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Mar 28 14:20:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 17:59 +1100, Steffen Kluge wrote:
> Things are slightly different in Fedora (as of FC4 at least). Zone
> files are part of the new tzdata package, and /etc/localtime still
> comes with glibc. However, no /etc/localtime.rpmnew file ever got
> created on my FC4 systems. Maybe your's stems from RH Linux days?

This has only happened for the last update, for me.  There's no such
file on any other FC4 box here, and I've only updated the one box, so
far.  Also, all of my boxes have been fresh installs, no updates from
prior releases.

> Maybe your's stems from RH Linux days? When zone file updates actually
> made an attempt to do the right thing? That said, I reckon the right
> thing to do would be creating a .rpmsave file, and overwriting
> localtime with the new zone definition.

Looking at the rpmsave file, it would be completely useless to me, it
displays nonsense time to me (I tried it out, to be sure).  The
information for what timezone data belongs there is configured on the
system, if it's going to put something there, it should put the right
thing.  And if there's truly been updates, leaving the old localtime
file in place is wrong, too.

I read messages from the public lists.