rebuilding X from failed FC4 -> FC5 upgrade

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 28 14:27:31 UTC 2006

Mark Haney wrote:
> I upgraded one of my machines to FC5 from 4 the other night and
> everything went smoothly except on reboot.  Now X doesn't work.  It
> appears that Xorg didn't completely install.  I've tried everything I
> know, but can't get it completely uninstalled.  It tells me xorg-x11-xdm
> is not installed, but when querying rpm I get the correct version from
> FC5 (1.0.something).  Any ideas on how to completely blow X away and
> re-install?

Probably the best way to correct the xorg problem is to use the install
media if DVD and use rpm -Uvh --replacefiles --replacepkgs xorg-x11*.rpm
which should install all xorg-x11 packages and overwrite the files
previously installed.

Two questions before you attempt to remove and replace X:

- Did you try to start X in runlevel 3 using startx?

- Did you try to run system-config-display --reconfig in runlevel 3 as
root to try to reconfigure X?

Jim