user for init scripts, fc5

Toby Muhlhofer toby.m at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 28 21:00:25 UTC 2006

Hi, all,

I was wondering: which user runs the init scripts at boot time in fc5?

The reason I ask is because I have the following issue. In my
/etc/fstab, I have a cifs filesystem, for which I use a credentials
file. For security reasons I would like to set permissions/ownership on
this file so only root can read it. In fc4, this filesystem would be
mounted with no problems. In fc5, I get an error message

can't open <path-to-file>

The behavior is the same whether I put a line for the filesystem into
/etc/fstab or I put a line

mount -t cifs <...> -o credentials=<path-to-file>

into rc.local.

Either used to work in fc4, neither works in fc5. If I make the
credentials file world-readable, it works, but I don't want to do that
for security reasons.

So my guess is, I would need to transfer ownership of the file to
whichever user runs the init scripts and let only that user read the file.

So, which user runs the init scripts?

Toby