Sharing Thunderbird Mails Between Linux and Windows

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 16:41:58 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I had a cpu-fan failure that took out the motherboard.  When I rebuilt I
> found that the ext3 partitions were fine, but the FAT32 ones were completely
> hosed.  I tried every recovery tool I could find, recovering some files, but
> losing every .jpg on there.
>
> I've never trusted a vfat partition since.

You know, it would be a lot more logical not to trust CPU fans...

Modern CPUs are provided with fans for a reason. Some CPUs are better
than others at halting the system when the fan fails -- it sounds like
you experienced quite a bit of collateral damage.

In particular, you can't trust a CPU to work as designed in such cases,
and any writes to disk are dodgy.

Actually, come to think of it, not trusting computers or *any*
filesystems would also be a logical conclusion.

At least, not trusting them enough that you run regular backups.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Dalek invasion at work today. I plugged them into the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | net: they behave better than some Windows boxes. They