Problems With Atheros Based Wireless Cards & Ubuntu 6.06 experience

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 19:02:15 UTC 2006

Gerry Tool wrote:
> Brian Truter wrote:
>> Madwifi-old and madwifi-ng both work fine for me on FC5, but not
>> without some issues. The interface is not brought up automatically on
>> boot anymore. I have checked my old configuration, uninstalled and
>> re-installed, nothing seems to get it working again. NetworkManager
>> doesnt seem to work anymore, the only way I can bring the interface up
>> anymore is thru the command line, so i had to resort to shell scripts.
>>

> I have also found that I have to use the cli to bring up my network, and
> NetworkManager seems to confound the problem.  Can you share the shell
> script you are using to bring up your network?
>
> Thanks.  Gerry

I have discovered that creating suitable scripts is very easy.  I have
one (in my ~/bin directory) called wup:
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/ifconfig ath0 up
/sbin/ifconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxx
/sbin/dhclient ath0
exit

and one called wdn:
#!/bin/bash
/sbin/ifconfig ath0 down
exit

These work for me executing the first after login as sudo wup and before
logout as sudo wdn.  I found if I didn't run wdn, my machine would hang
during shutdown.

Also, being curious, I decided to compare this FC5 wireless experience
with what one should expect from the next ubuntu 6.06.  I downloaded the
daily DVD, burned it with K3b, booted to it and got my Netgear WG511T
wireless card working immediately by using System > Administration >
Networking to configure the already-recognized ath0 device and clicking
on the NetworkManager icon that was on the panel, and selecting my
network.  NM asked me for the encryption key and for a password to place
the key on a keyring.  With that little effort, I had an IP address and
was ready to use the network.

If Fedora Core doesn't make wireless that easy, it will not be used by
many laptop owners.

Gerry