fc5: install everything?

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu Mar 30 22:19:11 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Is it really that hard to figure out that if you don't want to take
> discs with you that you should copy them to your hard drive?
>
> Sure, there's various ways of doing this for installation convenience
> sake (local YUM repos, etc), but it's pretty obvious that copying the
> disc structure to the hard drive as an installation tree allows you
> people to install from local files later on
Actually, it doesn't.  I need to know a lot more about the install
format, structures, policies, and databases than I do now to use that
approach.  That's why I've never used it in the past but instead just
always installed "everything".

Even needing to go back and find one single package makes the
distribution more costly than I'm willing to afford.  That one package
will take me an hour or two to hunt down, install, sort through possible
conflicts, (which I presume the original packagers took into account at
the time but may no longer be relevant), test, then figure out how to
get that distributed to all of my users as well.  At that point, I'd
have been better off with a more comprehensive distribution.

--rich