fc5: install everything?

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu Mar 30 22:30:52 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> Seriously though...there was a bunch of consternation about what
> represented 'install everything', there was emphasis on reducing the
> packages that are part of core and moving stuff out to extras which is
> really where people are wanting to install everything...not from core.

The problem with that approach is a lack of integration.

If the core fedora team wants to thin out it's responsibilities, that's
fine, I suppose.  We'll just need to reinvent another team to
reintegrate and repackage fedora core + the rest of the stuff we need
for a complete OS.  I'm just sad to see the product degrade.

Integration is the most important thing fedora offers, even more
important than nice art, even more important than simple installs.

--rich