fc5: install everything?

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 12:26:42 UTC 2006

Yang Xiao wrote:
> But for most people, they will only know what they need or don't need over
> time, and for newbies, trying to install packages on demoand may not be so
> fun if they are just casual users.

That doesn't mean you want "everything" everything.

Most people *will* know that there are certain categories of software
that they won't be interested in.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/ch-packageselection.html

Take the categories "Software Development" and "web server". Most people
will never need software from these categories. If they do, then they
are likely to know there's a possibility they'll want it at install
time -- they'll already have an interest in programming, or running
servers from their own computer.

And, to be honest, it *is* reasonable to assume that software developers
should know how to install software.

What most people will want is either "all programs from certain
categories" or "the most useful programs from certain categories".
That's what the installer is optimised around.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "We've just been contacted by the Lady of the Lake."
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | "Really? What does she want?"