[FC4] RPM doesn't work after upgrade with odd error message

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 31 16:13:24 UTC 2006

Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> Just did a "yum -y update" a few hours ago on a machine with FC4.
>>> After that, whenever I type in yun (anything), I get:

>>> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
>>> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
>>>
>>> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rpm/_rpmmodule.so: undefined symbol:
>>> matchpathcon_init
>>>
>>> Please install a package which provides this module, or
>>> verify that the module is installed correctly.
>>
>> Which versions of "rpm", "rpm-python", and "libselinux" do you have?
>>
>> My last FC4 box has:
>> $ rpm -q libselinux rpm rpm-python
>> libselinux-1.23.11-1.1
>> rpm-4.4.1-23
>> rpm-python-4.4.1-23
>>
>> Paul.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> That is exactly what I have (sorry I didn't provide that when I posted).
> I'm not sure what to make of this.

Does "strings /lib/libselinux.so.1 | grep matchpath" produce this output?

matchpathcon_init
set_matchpathcon_printf
set_matchpathcon_invalidcon
set_matchpathcon_flags
matchpathcon_filespec_eval
matchpathcon_filespec_destroy
matchpathcon_checkmatches
matchpathcon_filespec_add
matchpathcon_index
matchpathcon
matchpathcon_filespec_eval
matchpathcon_filespec_add

> Also, on one of my machines, rpm-build won't update:
>
> Updating:
>  rpm-build               i386       4.4.1-23         updates-released
> 515 k
>
> Transaction Summary
>
> Install      0 Package(s)
> Update       1 Package(s)
> Remove       0 Package(s)
> Total download size: 515 k
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Downloading Packages:
> Running Transaction Test
> Finished Transaction Test
> Transaction Test Succeeded
> Running Transaction
>   Updating  : rpm-build                    ######################### [1/2]
> error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/src/redhat: cpio: mkdir
>
> Updated: rpm-build.i386 0:4.4.1-23
> Complete!
>
> -----
> Hmmmm...

Let me guess, you have a /usr/src/redhat that's a symlink or something
else that isn't a directory...

Paul.