How to start keychain?

T. Horsnell tsh at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 17:42:00 UTC 2006

>After much reading, to try to get a cron job being able to run with ssh, I
>found that the best solution for me appears to be to run keychain, with
>--clear.  I found the IBM tutorials, which helped a lot, until it came to the
>bit about setting up the automatic loading of keychain.  That's when you
>realise how out of date the tutorials are.  Parts 1 and 2 were written in
>2001 and part 3 in 2002.  Much has changed since then.
>
>Trying to follow the instructions but adapting to what happens now, I put the
>following into ~/.bash_profile
>
>/usr/bin/keychain --clear ~/.ssh/id_dsa
>source ~/.bashrc
>
>Into ~/.bashrc I put
>
>eval `ssh-agent`                        #should that have been changed to 'eval keychain'?
>
>and at the start of the cron job I put
>
>source ~/.keychain/david.lydgate.lan-sh
>
>Then I logged out, and back in.  Keychain did not start.  I ran 'eval
>keychain' and the cron job has completed once correctly.
>
>Is it just the eval statement that is wrong, or do I need to change other
>things?

Anne, this may be a bit late in the day, but have you looked
at the docs on the rsync homepage?
http://www.samba.org/rsync/documentation.html
There's an entry there:

A nice tutorial on setting up ssh to avoid password prompts also covers
how you can restrict the commands allowed and setup a cron job to run rsync.

I've tried using the --password-file option in the past, but this
never worked. I suspect its only valid if the remote host is running
an rsyncd...

Cheers,
Terry.