fstab missing line

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 1 14:49:22 UTC 2006

Ian Malone wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:

>> it was
>> >>
>> > This is the whole point . You should not have to do that in FC5.
>> > What function of CD access do you not see without that line in fstab?
>> >
>> I don't recall the precise sequence of events but no doubt I attempted
>> to "mount /dev/hdc" and the cd to "/media/cdrecorder" as I am accustomed
>> to doing since FC4 and trying to look at a directory listing ...
>>

> Using Gnome on FC5 the normal behaviour is that when you insert a
> data cd it is mounted under /media/<volumename>.  Personally I
> find this a little inconvenient, but it's not impossible to work with.
> Does this not happen for you?
>
> --
> imalone

Yes that would be inconvenient for me since I usually deal with CD's
from the command line and I never use Gnome or KDE, preferred
WindowMaker for a long time and a couple of years ago began using XFCE ...

This is all I find under /media/

ll /media/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 8 bobg  544 4096 Apr 13  2005 cdrecorder
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 22 14:50 floppy

and I believe I created /media/cdrecorder out of necessity.