shutdown process

Norm norm at workingtools.ca
Tue May 2 02:42:05 UTC 2006

I am sure I am missing something.  I prefer to start core 5 by first
booting in level 3 and then to gui.  I find it interesting that the gui
interface does not allow me to shut the computer down in this case but
if I allow the computer to boot direct to run level 5 the shut down or
reboot option is offered.    No particular problem just switch at the
command line to either the su or root itself and then shut down.  This
is where a inconstancy appears.  The shutdown process seems to go okay
until the end when a sh-3.1# prompt appears, no matter what I do the
same situation occurs; it does not seem to matter which switches I use
if I want the computer actually turn off or reboot at this stage I need
to manually turn the computer off. What is happening?
Norm