Nvidia & Twinview Weirdness

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed May 3 00:15:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 15:22 -0500, lostson wrote:
> On 5/2/06, lostson <lostson at lostsonsvault.org> wrote:
>         > Hello
>         >  I am using FC5 with a nvidia gforce 5700xp. I also use
>         twinview and I
>         > use the kmod-nvidia from livna. When setting up my twinview
>         like I have
>         > always done, I keep my xorg.conf from a backup from FC4 and It
>         doesn't
>         > change much. I set it up with my 1280x1024 on both screens and
>         it
>         > launches ok and all. The problem I am having is when going to
>         System -->
>         > Preferences --> Scree Resolution in Gnome it says Im running
>         2560x1024
>         > which is right but the refresh rate says 50 Hz. I don't know
>         why this is
>         > doing this I have set my refresh rates in my xorg.conf it
>         should be 60
>         > Hz. Does anyone know if there is a bug in the Screen
>         Resolution app ? Or
>         > is there something wrong with the nvidia driver or kmod-nvidia
>         module
>         > from livna. The reason I ask is my eyes start to kill me after
>         a hour or
>         > 2 and I have never had this problem before. I could sit here
>         for 12
>         > horus and it would never bother me. So i'm looking for ideas
>         and
>         > thoughts, thanks.
>
>         What does your X log say?
>

>         I believe this is the relevant portion
>
>          (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce FX 5700
>         Ultra at
>         (--) NVIDIA(0):     PCI:2:0:0:
>         (--) NVIDIA(0):     Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-0)
>         (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-1
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-0): 400 MHz maximum
>         pixel clock
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-1: 400 MHz maximum pixel clock
>         (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Devices: CRT-0, CRT-1
>         (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
>         (II) NVIDIA(0):     "1280x1024_60.00,1280x1024_60.00"
>         (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 2560 x 1024
>         (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (90, 96); computed from "UseEdidDpi"
>         X config option
>         (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
>
>          Hopefully this helps, I dont think I am getting 60 Hz though ?
With my samsung LCD monitor it refused to use the specified VertRefresh
(and thus refused to enable maximum resolution) until I added another
option in the xorg.conf file

Mine has three lines that made it work properly, but only when all are
present in the "Monitor" section.  You may need to put these in the
sections for both monitors.
        VertRefresh  60.0 - 60.0
        Option      "IgnoreEDID"
        DisplaySize  430        320

I needed the first to limit the value to the monitor default.
The second is an option from the nVidia documentation to make X ignore
the EDID data from the monitor.  X by default overrides the specified
values for horizontal and vertical refresh and uses the reported EDID
values.
The third was needed to set the DPI since the EDID values are ignored
and it has to have some way to compute the dpi.  Obviously the display
size values may be different for your monitor.  Mine is a SyncMaster
213T