Procmail battles

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed May 3 15:57:41 UTC 2006

Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> I found that I can execute a ~/.procmailrc script (the backup script
> from procmailex) on an FC4 system configured to run dovecot but the
> same script does not run at all on an FC5 system with no IMAP server
> configured.  My gut feel is that I have done something to the FC4 mail
> configuation (many moons ago) that I have not done with the FC5 system
> and that IMAP is a non-issue.  I test the script by sending myself a
> message and look for the message to be stored in the $MAILDIR/backup
> directory.  I do see the message in /var/spool/pmr so sendmail is
> doing it's part.  Here's the script, fwiw:
>
> MAILDIR=/home/pmr/mail
>
> :0 c
> backup
>
> :0 ic
> | cd backup && rm -f dummy ‘ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,32d‘
>

> Are there any logs that might yield some insight?

How do you receive your email, i.e. how does it end up going through
procmail?

Check for sensible (e.g. not group or world writeable permissions on
your home directory or .procmailrc).

Try adding:

LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log
LOGABSTRACT=yes
VERBOSE=1

to your ~/.procmailrc after the MAILDIR=/home/pmr/mail line.

Then look in /home/pmr/mail/procmail.log after a delivery attempt.

Paul.