scim chinese input under non GB2312 locale

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu May 4 04:35:01 UTC 2006

Stephen Liu wrote:

I feel is if we've been here before...at least part of it.  I think
we're talking about multiple issues.  Anyway....

>>> Where can I find on the menu to start Chinese Edition (GUI)?
>> You mean there is no "Language" to the left of "Session", "Restart",
>> "Shut Down" on your login screen?
>
> No.

If I'm right, I think you are asking how to bring up your windows such
that the menus and such are in Chinese....

This will happen depending on your LANG setting.  But, you said you
don't have a "Language" button on your Login Screen.  (I'm assuming you
are booting to level 5).

If that is the case, then it is possible you are running the KDM as your
display manager.  With this set, you will not get Language button.
Check to see what is set in your /etc/sysconfig/desktop file.

> I can start Chinese Editing on login Session-Trad/Simplied Chinese.
>
> [Ctrl]+[Space] - switching between English and Chinese
> [Ctrl]+[Shift] - toggling "editing method"
>

> What I tried to find out is how to start editing Chinese on English
> locale (in English environment).  I have been searchig around on the
> Menu and unabled to find it

I think you've been told this a few times...and it is working fine for
me here.  Your LANG environment variable *must* be set to en_US.UTF-8
*prior* to X startup.  Check to see what is in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.

Ed

--
Hlade's Law:
	If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person --