limits.conf: howto set core file size?

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu May 4 18:14:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 13:04 -0400, Matt Roth wrote:
> Patrick wrote:
>
>  > I would like to make sure that apps running as <some non-root user> can
>  > dump core of any size. Would adding the following line
>  > to /etc/security/limits.conf accomplish this?
>  >
>  > <user> soft core 0
>
> I believe that will prevent the user from being able to create core
> files.  Try this instead:
>
> <user>   soft   core   unlimited
> <user>   hard   core   unlimited
>
> Keep in mind that limits.conf is only applied to logins.  If you're
> running the apps from init scripts, modify them to include the following
> lines prior to launching the apps:
>
> ulimit -Sc unlimited
> ulimit -Hc unlimited

Matt,

Thanks for the information. I was thinking about the login you
mentioned. The primary application I need this for is Asterisk. Like
apache it is started as root and by passing -U <user> -G <group>
parameters it will run as that <user>/<group> (asterisk/asterisk in my
case). Do I still need to add the info to the initscript or do I add it
to limits.conf?

Thanks and regards,
Patrick