Dealing with 94 rpmnew files on new FC4 install after yum update

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri May 5 09:49:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 15:13 -0700, Roger wrote:
> I have just installed FC4 on a new PC and ran yum update.  The yum
> update created 94 .rpmnew files.  Most of these end with .conf.rpmnew
> and the others end with /config/xxxxx.rpmnew.
>
> I understand these to be application configuration files that were not
> installed by yum because there may have been local customizations.  In
> normal circumstances, I should review each .rpmnew file against its
> counterpart and determine if if the configuration files can be swapped
> by renaming or if the .rpmnew file must first be edited.  However, at
> least a few of the .rpmnew files seem to be binary and I do not know the
> function of each application that has an .rpmnew file.
>
> Because this is a new installation (I have customized my monitor
> settings and made a static IP address), a guess is that I just want all
> the .rpmnew files installed -- and maybe the existing files renamed to
> .rpmold just in case.  Is there an installation option that I missed or
> is there a cleanup script somewhere to deal with this problem?  Would
> use of smart (or apt) instead of yum have resulted in fewer problems?

Are you by any chance using x86_64 and are many of these files
associated with packages that you have both .x86_64 and .i386 versions
installed? A common cause of spurious .rpmnew file generation is when
multiple packages own the same config file (as is the case described
above, and also for example /etc/vimrc).

Paul.