Re: Iptables not saving...

On 5/7/06, Devon Harding <devonharding gmail com> wrote:
On 4/23/06, Devon Harding <devonharding gmail com> wrote:
> The reason I want the chains saved, is because I'm uning sshdblackd
> (http://www.sshblack.com) to block failed ssh attempts on my box
>
> Here is everything that I did manually...
[snip]

> [root mars ~]# cat /etc/cron.hourly/iptables.cron
> #!/bin/sh
> /sbin/iptables-save >/dev/null 2>&1
[snip]

So, your cron script just put your rules to a kitchen sink :)
Did you RTFM? iptables-save outputs current rules to stdin.
If you want them to be saved, redirect output not to
/dev/null but /etc/sysconfig/iptables .
Be careful and keep copy of this file because if you change
configuration in system-config-securitylevel dialog, all manual
rules will be lost.
HTH.

By the way, if I remember correctly, someone in this
thread give this advice already. I'm lazy to reread all messages :)

V.Rudenko
--
λ is the ultimate