fc5: install everything?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue May 9 04:54:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 06:08 +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 02:54:46PM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>
> > server?  Matter of fact, who /needs/ everything on a desktop?  Sounds
> > extremely lazy and inefficient to me.
>
> Hard drive space and bandwidth are effectively infinite, human time
> is scarcer than ever. Saving time is efficient. Laziness is a virtue.
>
> It doesn't forebode well for FLOSS that people are not getting it.

Huh?

Sorry - but "installing everything" is just plain silly in most cases.
Even with gobs of hard drive space and gigabit straight from a backbone
to your home.

menus become cluttered, for one thing.

Install what you are going to use.
Install what you would like to test.
There is no need to have OpenOffice.org and koffice installed if you are
only going to use AbiWord and Gnumeric.

Why have kmail and balsa and sylpheed cluttering up your menus when you
are going to use evolution?

It also is a lot more likely that you will run into problems when
upgrading if you have everything under the sun installed.