fc5: install everything?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 9 05:09:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:54:07PM -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Sorry - but "installing everything" is just plain silly in most cases.

I don't know which packages and libraries I'm going to need tomorrow.
I don't have time to work for my computer. My computer should work for me.

> Even with gobs of hard drive space and gigabit straight from a backbone
> to your home.

I manage with 0.5/6 MBit ADSL, but FC does have an unstable
feel around it.

> menus become cluttered, for one thing.

Then the menus are designed wrong. I don't expect most packages
to show up in the menus.

> Install what you are going to use.

I like to explore first, and then use it. I can't explore what's
not already installed. If I could have a machine with 16 kPackages
from Sarge I would probably have it.

> Install what you would like to test.
> There is no need to have OpenOffice.org and koffice installed if you are
> only going to use AbiWord and Gnumeric.

Bzzt. I have no idea what I'm going to use next. Some documents
can be only read in AbiWord, and some in OO. You don't know which
is going to cut the mustard.

> Why have kmail and balsa and sylpheed cluttering up your menus when you
> are going to use evolution?

I'm using mutt, and it doesn't show up in the menus. I use locate
instead of menus most of the time.

> It also is a lot more likely that you will run into problems when
> upgrading if you have everything under the sun installed.

Upgrades Just Don't Work in FC. Tried it, always wind up with
reinstalling. If you want smooth upgrades, try Debian.