sendmail problem

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Wed May 10 12:29:31 UTC 2006

Ron Watson wrote:

> and by combining that with what you mentioned here about
> no_masquerade_local being enabled,
> perhaps he simply needs to get out of localhost and then all the
> masquerade stuff will start to
> take effect. It's been my experience that many of the older, legacy Unix
> programs are aware
> that 127.0.0.1 is not a "normal" address, and modify their behavior
> accordingly.

Well in a sense 127.0.0.1 was never and will never be a "normal address"
But 127.0.0.1 being the loopack address facilitates many things .
It's the only network interface that all computers have .
The DAEMON_OPTIONS i listed before need to refer to a standard point per
default , that's why there was no reference to  LAN Addresses ( eg
10.0.0.0/8 ,
192.168.0.0/16,...) . Also if someone deletes the

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

line  from /etc/hosts then many things will stop working with X Windows
being one
of them .

Just trying to get  to the actual problem, rather than just fix
symptoms. I was thinking
> that maybe setting his  hostname correctly may be all he needs. Like I said, I haven't changed
> the sendmail config on my  system, but at least it knows who it is...

I second your opinion on that . I have changed my hostname and i have
sent mail even with PINE
through the use of MASQUERADING . Although there stands a chance there
is also another
way to do it , i still believe that what you just proposed is the best
thing to do .

Kind Regards.
   Kostas