Networking Bridging

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Thu May 11 02:30:59 UTC 2006

I need some help getting my network bridge to work right.

In FC4, I just added a couple lines to ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 and
created a ifcfg-br0 file and it'd work, but in FC5, those same steps
aren't working. I don't have a clue how to go about debugging what's
going on (I've tried to look into it, but the number of different files
and programs involved in starting the network is too much for me to handle).

If I follow the tutorial given at
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8172 for setting up a bridge
manually, the bridge will work. It just doesn't work with the
network/init scripts.

I'll be happy to reply with any outputs from programs or configuration
files that any of you would like to see. Here are some files and outputs
I think might be useful.

Thanks for the help,
Justin Willmert

 > service network start
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface br0:  Device br0 does not seem to be present,
delaying initialization.
                                                           [FAILED]
Bringing up interface eth0:  interface eth0 does not exist!
                                                           [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth1:  interface eth1 does not exist!
                                                           [  OK  ]

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0
# Bridge Configuration
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.2.75
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes

# Linksys NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:04:5A:50:16:38
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ehternet
BRIDGE=br0

# Linksys NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
DEVICE=eth1
HWADDR=00:04:5A:4E:BC:o2
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ehternet
BRIDGE=br0

 > lspci
00:0a.0 Ehternet controller: Linksys NC100 Network Everywhere Fast
Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)
00:0b.0 Ehternet controller: Linksys NC100 Network Everywhere Fast
Ethernet 10/100 (rev 11)