How to resize ext3 partitions?

Marcelo Magno T Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Thu May 11 16:14:16 UTC 2006

Em Quinta 11 Maio 2006 12:48, Ambrogio escreveu:
> Il giorno gio, 11/05/2006 alle 08.34 -0300, Marcelo Magno T Sales ha
>
> scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What software can I use in FC5 to resize an ext3 partition? I've tried
> > qtparted and gparted, but in both of them the "resize partition" option
> > is disabled. Why?
>
> Ext3 is a filesystem and not a partition.

ext3 partition = partition formated with ext3 file system.

> So to resize a partition you can use all tools related to it (for
> examples fdisk)

fdisk does not resize partitions, unless you delete it and recreate it, but
then you loose all data. The softwares I mentioned resize partition
on-the-fly. However, for some reason, the resize option is disabled in both.

> To resize the filesystem you have to use other command.
> ext2resize I don't remember but I think works online.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Marcelo