Re: Empty boot.log

So basically, I need to boot, then immediate check /var/log/dmesg ?

On 5/11/06, John DeDourek <dedourek unb ca> wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> No but running dmesg soon after boot will give you what you need.
> I say soon because dmesg reads from a finite buffer.

On most Fedora Core systems (I just checked a Core 4 and a Core 5
system; it's true for these), the boot scripts "unload" the dmesg
buffer into /var/log/dmesg at some point in the boot.  Thus examining
that file will give most of the boot messages put into the dmesg
buffer during the last boot, even if subsequent kernel logging
messages have forced the boot messages to drop off the real
dmesg queue (as read by the "/bin/dmesg" utility).