Advanced use of history in some bash shell

Hi all,

I would like to have my shells to be compliant to those things.

1. A large number of slot for history so I don't lose command.
2. Each shell has proper history, so command issued in one shell are not
viewed on others
3. But when shell is closed, commands are appended to history files, and
not overwritten

Is this possible?
Where ca I act to change default behavior of shell history?

Tnx to all
 Ambrogio