Re: Sound Recording Program

"Ali Helmy" <alihelmy gmail com> wrote:
Hey mates, Anyone know of a good program that I can use to record sounds from the microphone into a file? I don't really care much about the file itself, just that it is in a readable format later, such as .wav or .mpg or any other good option... Thank you
-- Cheers, A. Helmy

I've been using audactity to digitize my collection of vinyl LPs (same idea: analog sound input to sound card). The good news is that it lets you edit whatever you record. The bad news is that the raw file is huge although you can easily save it as .ogg to end up with something a lot smaller or .wav if you want lossless. It should just be a matter of plugging the microphone into the correct jack on your sound card, firing up audacity and hitting the record button. I don't know if there are any apps that let you compress the stream on the fly.

Cheers,
Dave