Why can't display all installed kernel with rpm -q

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat May 13 03:55:02 UTC 2006

On 12May2006 22:58, Frank Pineau <frank at pineaus.com> wrote:
| On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 09:12 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
| > Right.  But, as Rob pointed out, the OP is running the smp kernel.  I
| > tend to do the grep thingy to remind myself of having the devel packages
| > loaded as well as other self built kernels.
|
| Well there's an odd thing.  I tried rpm -q kernel on mine to see what
| happens (I've always done rpm -qa |grep kernel) and it returned my
| kernels just fine.  Thing is, I'm running SMP x86_64 kernels, but it's
| only listed as SMP when I do a uname -a.  Am I missing something?

Well, on my box:

  [~]#root at zoob*> rpm -qf /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-1.2069_FC4smp
  kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2069_FC4

So I'd say the SMP kernel is a separate package. What does:

  rpm -q kernel
  rpm -q kernel-smp

say?

Oh, while on the x86_64 subject I discovered that some RHEL boxes I look
after have both i386 and x86_64 packages installed, and that "rpm -qa"
is singularly annoying in that case because its default behaviour is
not to include the architecture. So eg "rpm -qa | grep foo" will often
list the same name twice and "rpm -ev foo" will refuse to work because
it matches multiple packages.

So I now have an "rpmq" script:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs//css/bin/rpmq

that sets up the report format string to include the architecture,
which still gives you package names you can hand to "rpm -e". I found
this handy when pruning down an install for a production machine.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

A man alone in the forest talking to himself and no women around to hear him.
Is he still wrong? - Kynde