FC5, Another unhappy camper

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat May 13 08:06:13 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Paul Michael Reilly <pmr at pajato.com> wrote:

> I have to confess, much to my chagrin, that my FC5 experience has been
> less than satisfying.  I will admit right up front that it is my own
> fault --- I had the audacity to inherit an IBM Thinkpad (A31P) and a
> Dell Workstation with an nVidia card.  From a Fedora perspective,
> that is two strikes ...
>
> First, the Thinkpad.  After countless hours with various FAQs and
> using the livna repo for Radeon support, I'm almost ready to give up
> trying to get a dual head experience, or the ability to use Xine on
> the 21" external monitor.  I configure the laptop screen as a generic
> 1600x1200 LCD and a Samsung Syncmaster 213T as the second monitor.
> X subsequently complains that no device is found on reboot.
>
> It pains me greatly to move backwards, returning to FC4, which,
> probably because I played footloose and fancy free with lots of repos,
> worked fine from a multi-head and full graphics support perspective,
> but, mea culpa, I don't have the bandwidth to solve this problem on my
> own with FC5.  With the release of Suse 10.1 ... that is tempting
> indeed ... but I fear I might be trading one set of annoying problems
> for another.
>
> The nVidia experience, while also frustrating, has been more
> successful in that dual head runs so I will likely stick with FC5 on
> that system.  But it wasn't pretty getting there.
>
> I have this vision, this dream, that one day I will be able to install
> a Linux distro and everything will just work.  All the software I want
> to run will run.  Web sites will happily feed video images to my
> screen without rudely informing me that I can't have it my way, that
> you can only have it Bill's way.  Remote apps, like VNC, will just
> work without apologizing for using non-standard windows operations
> (FullScreen).  I won't have to scan lists (mail and otherwise) to make
> sure that the rather expensive hardware I'm using makes the cut.  And
> then ... when I upgrade ... everything still works, only better.
> Starting with Redhat 7.3, I figured a few years and my dream would be
> realized.  Maybe Fedora Core 10, but it is still very far off with
> FC5.
>
> Maybe Suse ....  Hmmm.
>
> -pmr
>
> --

Hi Paul!

I am actually quite impressed with the state of volunteer software.  FC5,
Ubuntu, Suse et.. all...  The world is a better place as thousands
contribute thier efforts to move software and computing forward by open
process.

You have a choice here.  You can contribute, or you can move on.

Enjoy!

Tod