FC5 MySql/ODBC problem

I've hit a problem with MySql 5.0.18 and ODBC on FC5 - 'Can't initialize character set latin1' .  I am opening two databases, the first open succeeds but the second fails.

Apparently it is a known bug in MySql which is still around and hasn't been pushed to the MySql RPM that is used in FC5 (refer to http://lists.mysql.com/internals/32930).

Has anyone run into this and is there a workaround? I'm not very eager to grab a source distribution for MySql so I can compile out this error.