PAM Recipe to Authenticate on Either the User's Password or Root's Password

Schlaegel 777tahder at schlaegel.com
Sun May 14 04:30:59 UTC 2006

On 5/13/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 13:22, Schlaegel wrote:
> > I want everyone to avoid 'su', and most users won't know any important
> > target passwords (like root). Also, which password is required is
> > inconsistent across linux programs and even across `sudo`
> > installations, so I want either to work.
> >
> > Rather than debate the social issues, I want to know if anyone knows a
> > technical solution that allows this.
>
> It's more program philosophy than a social issue.  When you
> disagree with the author about what the program is supposed
> to do, the source code is the place to start.

I don't get your meaning. I want to use `sudo` for the purpose it was
written, to execute a command as another user. `sudo` supports three
methods of authentication current user, target user, or PAM. I want to
see if PAM can authenticate by trying both the current user and the
target user. What author am I disagreeing with in regards to the
purpose of their program?