FC5, Another unhappy camper

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun May 14 16:09:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 16:11 -0400, Paul Michael Reilly wrote:
> Stephen Mirowski <spmirowski at shaw.ca> writes:

>  >
>  > Marc M wrote:
>  > > I also consider contributing to include telling/posting your
>  > > experiences.  Even if you don't submit bug reports, rants are welcome
>  > > in my opinion since they provide a lot of useful information.
>  > >
>  > > Marc
>  > I believe, submitting bug reports can be discouraging.  Open source,
>  > commercial, whatever.   Look through lists of bug reports, across
>  > various projects, that have no responses whatsoever by debuggers or
>  > developers.  The submitter is then asking, has anyone even read this?  A
>  > simple response such as "I can't reproduce this" is enough of an
>  > acknowledgement to show the submitter that their input is valued.
>
> I have submitted enough bug reports to know that one that deals with
> non-FOSS software (ATI and nVidia drivers) will not elicit any useful
> response from Fedora.  This is the crux of my rant.  Fedora simply has
> a policy that for non FOSS software, move on.  I get the message.  I'm

Of course.
They did not write the software that caused the problem and they have no
possibilw way (or responsibility) to fix it.  You need to contact those
who wrote what broke your system and who have a chance to be able to fix
your problem.

If I were running Windows I certainly would not expect Microsoft to fix
a video driver I installed when I bought my new video card.  The same
applies here.

> grateful to those who publish repos of non FOSS software and
> instructions to work with these rpms.  I'm hopeful that Suse, with an
> attitude of embracing non FOSS software, will make their Linux
> experience more satisfying than it has been with Fedora Core.  And I
> will keep the pressure on the likes of ATI and nVidia to open up their
> drivers via comments, emails, phone calls and buying decisions.

I agree wholeheartedly with that.  If the manufacturers will make it
possible for users to get their Linux drivers in a better way it will
open up their market even more.